Make and send a pop-up pangolin card. The cute pangolin mom playing with her pangopup appears when you open the card.
Use your card to help raise awareness of pangolins! Send it to a friend who might not know that pangolins even exist. Add some pangolin facts to the front and back of the card.
- Pangolins are mammals with large overlapping scales covering their bodies.
- The scales are made of keratin, just like our fingernails.
- 20% of a pangolin’s weight is comprised of scales.
- As a defense against predators, they roll up into a ball. Even lions and tigers can’t prise them open.
- A pangolin’s tongue is longer than it’s body. The tongue is sticky and they use them to catch ants and termites.
- A pangolin can eat 70 million ants per year.
- There are eight species of pangolin: four in Asia and four in Africa.
- Sadly, a pangolin is snatched from the wild every five minutes! They are the most most illegally traded wild mammals on the planet. They are poached for their meat, which is eaten as a luxury dish in parts of their range, and their scales which are used in Traditional Asian Medicine.
Find out more about pangolins and the actions being taken to help them on The IUCN SSC Pangolin Specialist Group website